Friday, September 20, 2013

I took the K out for a ride tonight

I'd actually wanted to go for a ride a couple of nights ago but the bike wouldn't start. I took a look at it and actually found that a hose had come loose from the fuel pump, again. This was again my fault, when I did all the work inside the tank it was very hard to work; I wasn't sure I had things right so I didn't tighten all the clamps. This will learn me!

After connecting the hose, the bike still wouldn't start. It seemed like it wasn't getting fuel, again. This evening I started taking the lower fuel return hose off to see if it had fuel in it. I was guessing that I had an air/vapor lock, no fuel in the rail or hose. The hose didn't want to come off easily. I decided that I wanted to look at some other things, easier things, first.

I removed the side panel and pulled the number two plug (Second from the front of the bike). It had some oil on it but it didn't smell of gas, I'd also thought I might have flooded the system. I pulled the first plug, the same thing, no gas. I got some starting fluid, thinking that if I got it to spark and fire it might pull fuel through the system, I squirted some fluid in the cylinder and put the plug back in.

While I was sitting there at eye level with the bikes guts, it occured to me that maybe the computer plug was loose again. It actually showed up in my brain like a cartoon lit light bulb. I'd had this situation once before, I thought the bike was out of gas. I put a finger on the computer plug, turned the key and hit the starter. The bike ran, I took my finger off the plug and the bike died. DAMN, I hate when stuff like this happens.

Kari had heard the bike and came out to congratulate me. She also heard it die and said oh. I told her the problem. I pushed the plug in real tight, got the bike started and got ready to ride. It was near sunset and I wanted to take the bike out to charge the battery. Although the battery is only a year old, it has been sitting and I think it's almost dead. I got about a half a mile down Arundel on the Bay rd and the bike died. I took the side panel off, pressed the plug in real hard, it just barely started again. I got another half a mile, it died again, I pushed the plug in but the bike wouldn't start. I was very near the parking lot for St. Anne's school, it had a slight down grade. I shifted the bike into fourth and got it to jump start. I got another block and it died. I had to call Kari to have her bring the "Hot Shot". While I waited, I pulled out my mini tool kit, I'd put some zip ties in it. I had to ream out a small drain hole in the under seat box, I was able to run a zip tie through that hole, around the cable for the plug and up through another hole. I actually had to use two ties but it seemed to work.

Kari brought the hot shot, just before she arrived a nice guy across the street came out and offered what ever help he could give. The hot shot from home worked. Kari asked if she should followme home, I said no, " I want to finish my ride ". Which I did.

I road all the way down to the bay and back up Rockaway, where the guy is selling an 84 R65 that's all beat up. The bike was still there under the blue tarp. I came out and headed down Bay Ridge, again all the way to the bay and then came home. The bike ran flawlessly.

I think I'm now ready to try some highway speeds to see how it runs and how I like it. On other rides I'd worn my half helmet which seems to grab a lot of wind. Tonight I wore my full face and my leather coat. It was much more comfortable. I don't know if the bike is going to be a great warm weather bike. For this cooler weather it's great.

The bike runs like a top. The thing seems to have an endless power band. It's really amazing. I don't think I've ever ridden another bike like it, not my old R100, not the Sabre, not Kurt's old Goldwing. A Goldwing has power, the power rolls on; the K has instant power.

No comments:

Post a Comment