Monday, July 16, 2012

First start attempt after rebuild...Bust!

Well, the good thing is that it turns over and acts like it wants to start, but it just won't fire. Everything went together well. Except for the new run of the forward return hose. I mounted out behind the idle switch and a long the left body strut. The tank doesn't fit around it. I expected that, when I mounted it I just zip tied it up there very loosely.

I smell gas. I got one of those mechanics stethoscopes. Early on when I was having trouble IngridK from the forum suggested I use a long screw driver and listen for the clicking sound of the injectors, I got the scope on sale at Harbor Freight for $5 on sale. I believe that I heard the injectors clicking.

When I first tried to start it I put the choke on; which I read really doesn't do anything but up the idle speed. After all, it's a computer controlled ignition. The brain creates the mixture. With the choke on I thought it would feed gas into the rail and hoses quicker. At first I didn't smell gas. When I did smell gas I turned the choke off and tried again. This time it sounded different so much so that I turned it off because I thought I heard someone thumping a drum in the distance. It turned out to be the bike, it sounds like there is compression and it's popping air out the muffler. I have not tested the plugs since the new coils went in. I tested the coils before mounting them. They seem to have tested a little on the low side. the 1.4 coil tested 11.8, the 2,3 coil tested 12.2 at the positive and negative poles. Testing at the cups they all tested 2.6.


No comments:

Post a Comment