Monday, July 16, 2012

Some delays in assembly, but moving along. Choke and Throttle cable installed

We had an event in DC Saturday evening and had to leave fairly early to make it through the traffic, I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.

It' funny how I/we tend to get fixated on some things. I became fixated on the screws that hold the idle switch and fuel pressure sensor. I fixated because they are easy to get to and replace, if I could find replacements. I put up a post on the forums for info. And as often happens I don't think I explaned my dilemma properly. I would like to replace them with stainless. Would stainless be OK due to the dissimilar metals? I can only find slightly shorter screws would they be OK? I don't know if they attach anything on the inside of the bracket? I fixated. Finally I polished the screws as best I could and put them back it. I also polished the bracket as I moved along. I removed the screws one at a time, just in case they were holding something I didn't know about. I got lot's of input from the forum and I thank them.

I've been taking the assembly slowly because I've been cleaning and degreasing by hand as I go along. I also go slow

Choke Cable Installation

I installed the new choke cable first thinking it was the easier of the two. It was fairly straight forward. Of course I don't know if I've got it correct until I have it started. The throttle cable was a little more problematic.

Throttle Cable Installation

First, when I took the cable off I didn't know what was in the assembly so the cable became detached before I got a chance to photograph and noted it's position. I installed the cable and was very pleased until I went over to the left side of the bike and saw that the little throttle stop was positioned almost and inch up off its stop. I checked the cable to see if it was binding, nope. I started taking the handlebar assembly off. I started with the top cap, hoping to not remove the brake resevoir. That didn't work. I loosened the BR and still couldn't free up enough cable to release the throttle stop. It turns out the little adjuster that is actually separate from the cable, I had it turned the wrong way! I turned the adjuster around and put everything back together. I took a look at the throttle stop and it was still about 1/4" off the rest position. I figured that I had the position set wrong with the little chain in the assembly. I was able to just take the cap off and make some adjustments. That released the stop to its rest position. However, the throttle grip had some play in it. Off came the cap and I reset the little channel that is on the grip  and defines the amount of rotation of the throttle grip. Finally it seemed correct.

Fuel Rail Installation

I had already put the injectors into the rail with the new O rings. I had a holdup because when I went to cut the new fuel line I noticed that they were for a NON-FUEL INJECTED systems. I had to go back up to Napa and exchange the fuel line hose. I got an extra foot because I'd read that some people had issues with fuel heating up in the tank and routed the return fuel line to the outside of the engine. I couldn't find any pictures showing this but it sounds like a good idea to do now instead of later.

No comments:

Post a Comment