Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lessons Learned... Work over a proper work surface

Don't do stupid things, like me. I was hooking up electrics and decided to clean and check wiring. I took the coils off. There was some wear and roughness on the wiring that connected up to the coil. I cleaned the wiring and wrapped it with the color tape of the wires. I next went on to check, clean and wipe the coils. I was working on a chair 8" off the floor and I dropped the rear coil. At first I thought just a little piece of plastic had broken off. When I checked the post to the negative lead it had broken off just below the plastic.

A new coil as listed on the BMW of Chattanooga website is $239. Actually, I thought it would be alot more given the price of some other items.


The post is laying in from of the hole which it vacated


For the fix, the only thing I can think of is to drill just a little bit into the bottom of the post. I don't want to go too deeply. Although I'm not sure I think that this is probably like a distributor cap it needs to be air tight. Or, it could contain some cancer causing PCB stuff inside. after drilling as little as possible, I'm going to try and tap the hole. I may then try to tap the post that broke off. This would let me use the two holes to create a stud like arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment