Friday, June 8, 2012

Checking the Newly Installed Fuel System

Yesterday, June 7, I tried starting the bike it didn't start. I now thought it was some type of ignition problem. I thought I'd check the plugs.

I'd pulled the bike out to start it but I rolled it over towards the Sabre, Now under the cover my wife the Goldwing, bought for my birthday. I opened up the umbrella for some shade.

I systematically removed each spark plug and tested it. After testing the old spark plug I installed my new plugs after gapping them. Each old spark plug fired, each new plug fired????

Next I thought about the distributor, or whatever passed as ignition. There is a cover on the left side of the bike held on with 4 4mm cap screws. There I found two coils, or what seemed to be. On the first coil, the one nearest the front of the bike it said 1,4. On the second coil it said 2,3.



I'd remembered reading a post to that effect. I looked it up. A guy had taken his bike apart and forgotten to not the firing order placement of the wires. Another post told the location of the 1, 4-2,3 positions. The first firing position is outboard 1, second position outboard 2; with the inboard locations opposing them on the coils. My spark plug wires were led wrong! I changed the order. To get to the number 4 position safely I had to loosen the coils from their bracket with a 10mm wrench and socket to hold the other side of the bolt.

I tightened everything back up and tried starting the bike...nothing. Well, it turned over but didn't want to fire.

I went back to the posts. I found one from a guy presumeably in England. He was tracing down a no start problem to the fuel system. He was checking resistance in the fuel injectors and everything else.

It sounds like, to be a proper diagnostician on these K bikes you have to be handy and knowledgeable with a multimeter, which I'm not. I can find my way around 12 and 110 voltages and do some continuity testing but when it comes to resistances I'm lost. I guess I'll have to learn.

Anyhow the English guy took his fuel rail off and was testing the injectors with alcohol. That sounded like a good idea.

I looked in the pdf BMW manual, not much. I checked online for K100 fuel rail removal, nada. So I just searched for fuel rail and injector removal. Alot came up for cars, I figured it couldn't be too different. It wasn't. By removing two bolts and prying and pulling on the rail it pops out. Note: one thing I wasn't warned about was all the debris and gunk down in the holes that the injectors are in. Yes, the units plug the hole, but there is a funnel like opening leading to the actual hole. Now I've not even washed my bike since I got it. I'd found hoses and wires unplugged. I thought the water from a wash might find its way into where it shouldn't be. Anyhow, I think I would suggest to an owner doing this work to give those holes a good spray and dry prior to pulling the rail and injectors.

I poured in some alcohol and turned the bike on. NO SPRAY! But worse yet nothing came out of the fuel supply hose. The hose that is fed by my new fuel system!

Now I have another problem altogether, I have no fuel flow. I went back to the forums and really didn't come up with anything. My only thought is that the new fuel pump is keyed differently than the old one.

No I didn't test the damn thing before putting it in. Dummy me.

I pumped out all the fuel and let the tank dry so I could switch the leads without removing the pump, a tedious proposition.

The last thing I decided to do was clean the inlets for the injectors. I knew if I got the pump working I wouldn't hesitate to put everything back together and try and start the mochine!

This was done very carefully with a shopvac, cotton swabs, injector cleaner, pick set and a flashlight in my mouth. I don't know much about engines but I know they don't like little bits of road dirt leaves and other debris in their combustion chambers. Maybe I was being dumb, which I am when comes to these things. I very carefully picked away at the dirt while holding the shop vac nozzle as close as possible. I then swabbed with injector cleaner to get the whole thing as clean a possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment