Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The new fuel system... Filter $10, Hose $30, Damper $22, Pump price already listed To Date $172

The cost of a new BMW fuel pump alone is now $400 (internet 05/30/2012). After reading the forums I replaced it with a: Facet Purolator FEP 2402 for $50. Available from Octane Auto online:

http://www.octaneautosupply.com/Engine-Management-Exhaust/Air-Intake-Fuel-Delivery/Fuel-Pumps/Facet-Purolator-FEP2042-p5214557.html

 

The other components from BMW were also very expensive the vibration damper $80, fuel hose $26 each for two pieces, the fuel pre screener (no longer made) $40, the filter $35.



 Napa had a one foot length of hose for $30. Advance Auto had a FRAM G3802A In-Line Fuel Filter for $10, as vibration damper I've purchased a 1 foot length of 1.5 inch marine fuel fill hose and a 1' length of 1/2" Shields Fire A Col. These hoses are supposed to resist fuels oils solvents alcohol. In the end I may have to replace them multiple times, but the cost of these two hoses was $22, I can make 3 dampers out of them. Even if they stand up to the fuel as poorly as the BMW OEM part I'll be way ahead of the game.

 The large hose is a little loose in the retaining clamp and the pump is a little loose in the hose I'm going to use the thinner hose to fill space where there are gaps. I read one post where the guy used the hose that comes with the pump to fill the gap (he still had an OEM damper and fuel hose), but I think I'll need that hose also as all my hosing was old broken and brittle. He attached the "filler" with zip ties, I'm going to use Stainless hose clamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment