Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cleaning the tank

Since getting the bike I've spent hours cleaning the tank. The first residue the scabs were fairly easy, they kind of just sloughed off. The melted vibration damper a bit harder. I purchased "Goof Off" I've found this to work on most anything, it did. However, with repeated cleanings I noticed that some black bits, presumably from the damper would appear. There was the matter of the pollen like haze coating the interior of the tank, I'm assuming this is the "varnish" left from old gas. I used wire grill brushes, goof off soaked rags, bottle brushes, and brass gun brushes to remove the haze. I also used a Dremel tool with a cable attachment and a nylon cup brush.

I would say that I've put no less than 8 hours into the cleaning and probably more like 10-12 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment