Sunday, June 10, 2012

Too hot to work ... Go Shopping ... $27 spent $199 total

It's been 90 plus degrees the past few days. I confine my "outside" work, like running the bike to outside. Today, after starting the bike, it was too hot to continue. I jumped in the pool, took a shower, and headed off to Harbor Freight tools.

I wanted a couple of things, multicolored electrical tape. All the forums say check and clean the electrical connections. It looks like someone had done this as all the wire bundles are held together with black cloth electrical tape, yuk. My idea is to separate the connectors, take off the tape, clean the wires of goop, look for bad wire, and rebind the bundles with different colors making the connections easy to put back together. I also picked up some plastic wire tubes to enclose the wire bundles.

What I'm doing might seem overkill to some of the master mechanics out there. But, I'm not anywhere knowledgeable or a master machanic. All the little things I do make it easier for me to ensure I reassemble things correctly. One of the other things I'm doing is any screw, bolt, nut etc is put in a little snack bag and labeled with a "sharpie"; that's if I can't put it back in it's original place right away. All of the parts are in a box which at this time is very small. I'm also taking alot of pictures and videos.

I also picked up some heavy duty cable ties, both white and black. Most of the ties on the bike are black and I'll probably use those most. When i had the fuel rail off I wanted to give it a cleaning. But without the heavy duty ties to put everything back I could only work around the injectors.

I picked up some more hex keys, I always seem to lose them or misplace them. Since HFT was having a huge sale I picked up more than I actually needed. I spent $21, not too bad.

The big find for me was at "Goodwill". There was a torque wrench for $6. I don't own one, this an old style Craftsman. It should work just fine for my purposes.

All in all $27 Total $199

No comments:

Post a Comment