Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Pheonix K is firing... not flying yet

It turns out that I had the polarity reversed on the fuel pump. Then on top of that I found out that I didn't know the fuel pump would take so long to get fuel to the fuel rail. I found that out by mistake. I was taking out the plugs to clean them and the fuel was dripping. I plugged the line up and kept trying to start the bike. It finally fired. It ran but sputtered and popped at low idle. I turned the bike off and restarted it. It was very stinky a little smoke. I shut the bike down because I noticed a slight bloom of fuel around each of the injectors.

I had the fuel rail off and started to remove and clean each of the injectors. The problem came when I was trying to reinstall the injectors into the rail. The rubber O ring that fits into the cap in the rail was too pliable and seemed to mush on installation. I quit while was I was ahead. I only did the last two injectors, 3 and 4 from the front of the bike.

On reinstalling the rail I oiled up the injectors with what I had, Quicksilver 2 stroke engine oil. I don't know if I was right or wrong to do this but it seemed the installation went quite a bit easier than removal. Things may have been a little easier because I removed the plugs in hopes of relieving the pressure in the cylinders. That seemed to work. The injectors went in easily perhaps too easily.

I don't know if the oil on the injectors  caused them to be too loose in the holes and that made the bloom around the injectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment